Ok, so the fact that these are “raw vegan” may scare off a few, but these cookies are very very yummy. Not only that, they are just about as healthy as a cookie can be so no guilt required when eating them . With all the Christmas temptations I made a double batch and put them in the freezer so I have easy access to enjoy at anytime over the next few weeks. They will also keep in the fridge about a week.
This recipe is thanks to Raw Food – A Complete Guide for Every Meal of the Day by Erica Palmcrantz & Irmela Lilja. Even if you are not a regular raw veganite, you will really enjoy this book and the many wonderful recipes.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/ 2 tablespoon almond oil or canola oil (I used olive oil as that’s all I had)
- 2 dates
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon ginger (ok, I know they are gingerbread cookies, but I had no ginger so I skipped this ingredient, probably not the preferred option but the cookies are still VERY yummy)
- 6 cloves, ground or 1 teaspoon ground cloves (I used ground cloves)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (I have a wonderful raw honey that I used, delicious! And of course there are other options you can in place of the honey, i.e. agave, maple syrup or even use a couple of extra dates)
- Mix the almonds to a flour-like consistency, using a food processor
- Add the oil and dates, process some more.
- Add the spices and salt and process again. Taste to make sure the spices are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Add the honey and process until the mixture has consistency of gingerbread dough.
- Spread or roll out the dough on a cutting board and use cookie cutters to create various shapes. You can also roll the dough into balls like I did, it’s easy peasy!!