OK, here is another one that seems sooo simple that it’s almost not worth writing about – but as always I am compelled to share – what can I say!
As you may have figured out by now, I love salads – love love love salads!! But one of the things I love most, is you can make a great salad in less than 5 minutes!! I can’t tell you how many times I have whipped up our lunches in just 5 minutes, and I’m not kidding you it really does take less than 5 minutes.
Here’s a prime example:
- a few handfuls of spinach (I usually use the packaged, pre-washed so just throw it directly into the bowl – how easy is that!)
- 1 Avocado (sliced or scoop out with spoon)
- 1 mandarin orange (I sometimes use the canned version but rinse well before using)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seed
- Olive Oil (drizzle to taste)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- Fresh ground pepper (to taste)
I love this salad as well as the pumpkin seeds are rich in iron and the vitamin C in the oranges/lemon boost iron absorption big time!!
Mix it all together, toss, et voila!! A less than 5-minute salad!!
Add a piece of fruit, perhaps a few raw vegan crackers topped with raw almond butter and you have yourself a nice, healthy, plant-based lunch.
For those days where you feel the need for more substance you could easily add hemp seed (great protein source and also very filling) or legumes like chic peas or black beans (those are my favourites for salads – I use the canned versions but rinse well before adding to salads).
The most important thing – have fun, be creative and you will be amazed at what you can create in 5 minutes!!