I’m not sure why, but the word “leftovers” seems to have gotten a bad rap!! Me, I love leftovers and I thrive on leftovers. Truth be known, I’m just a wee bit lazy (d’oh I mean efficient) so I am always looking for shortcuts… what’s so wrong with that?
When I made the Refresher Salad yesterday, I actually made an extra 1/2 portion of the veggie mix (i.e. the mixture before adding spinach and hemp seed). So essentially I intentionally created leftovers for leftovers!!
And here’s what I created with the leftovers …. and I must say this 2nd version of Refresher Salad, or Refresher Salad PLUS was amazingly delicious!!
- 1 cup buckwheat; 2 cups water – Raw Vegan Option: Use 2 cups sprouted grain like buckwheat, quinoa or wild rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- sprinkle hot pepper (or more based on your taste)
- left over Refresher Salad
- 1 avocado, chopped in small cubes
- 1 mango, chopped in small cubes
- 2 heads romaine, chopped
Cook buckwheat and water on high until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes. Toss with olive oil and chili peppers.
Add the avocado and mango to the leftover Refresher Salad. Add romaine lettuce and toss well together. Add buckwheat (I like to add when it’s warm for a nice warm salad, but you could also wait until it’s cooled or cook it the morning and let let it cook in the fridge until dinner). Toss very well together and serve.