I don’t know about you but I have a pretty active sweet tooth! The problem is, if I have regular vegan baked goods it somehow triggers me and I eat everything in sight (ya, I have a bit of a problem that way ;-)) and then I feel awful afterwards, it lasts for a day or two where I feel grumpy, lethargic and overall yukky!! Does that happen to you?
What I have discovered is if I have a raw vegan treat, i.e. gluten free, refined sugar free, processed-food free (i.e. no gluten substitutes), then I am A-ok!! Yeah!! And even if I do get myself into a place where I want to have more than I should (t’ya like that ever happens ;-)), I don’t get the grumpy, lethargic and yukky feeling! Gotta love that!!
So this has led me to creating several chewy recipes (i.e. Chewy Brownie Balls, Cocoa Chews, Cashew Cranberry Chews, etc.) as I love the oooey-goey texture of these types of treats. Well, last night that sweet tooth returned so I whipped these up lickedy-split in less than 5 minutes. Yup, another easy peasy Cat special ;-).
I hope you enjoy as much as I do (did! HA!). Feel free to leave a comment to let me know what your favourite treats are!!
- 1-1.5 cup raw cashews
- 14 medjool dates, pitted
- 15 dried apricots
- 2-3 tbsp agave
- NOTE: Remember when you buy dried apricots they should be brown and NOT orange (or whatever colour is the natural fruit colour), if they are orange that means sulphites have been added to preserve the colour! Sulphites not good!
- In Cuisinart add cashews, dates and apricots and pulse until mixed but still chunky and goey!
- It's important to adjust to your own taste so you may want to add more dates/apricots/cashews. With machine running, add agave and use only enough to make 'dough' more sticky.
- Form into tiny balls. Store in the fridge or freezer, although I prefer the freezer as it gives the balls a more ooey-gooey texture.
- Also, they will keep longer in the freezer and you can easily grab one or two (maybe 3 ;-)) for a quick daily snack.