I love bread, always have always will! However, many breads do not love me, although I have found that my homemade version does not bother me. Although I do try to limit to 1 or 2 slices a week – hubby will gladly eat the rest :-). My version of this Whole Wheat/Flaxseed Bread is salt-free and virtually fat-free.
- 1 pkg dry active yeast (or .25 g which is about 1 Tbsp)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp organic sugar
- 3 cups organic whole wheat flour (OR use 2 cups flour & 1 cup ground Flaxseeds)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil for topping (optional)
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds for topping (optional)
- Add yeast to 1-1/2 cup warm water (40 degrees celcius - I use the kettle which has a temperature setting - or use warm tap water - make sure it's not too warm or the heat will kill the yeast), add 1/2 tsp sugar and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes until frothy, which indicates the yeast has activated.
- Add flour to cuisinart, turn on. Add yeast mixture slowly through top of cuisinart. The dough will form into a ball and start to roll around the Cuisinart. If the dough is too sticky you may need to add a little more flour. Once formed into a ball continue to process for another 30 seconds or so - as the ball spins around it's actually kneading the dough for you. Look Ma, no breadmaker 🙂 how easy is that?
- Place dough into lightly (very lightly) oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, punch dough to deflate. Move to floured table top, knead lightly and form into loaf. Move to lightly (very lightly) oiled loaf pan. Cut diagonally through surface of dough, brush lightly with olive oil, sprinkle sesame seeds (or poppy seeds) on top. Cover with tea towel and let rise another 1-2 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
My favourite – fresh bread topped with a couple of tomato slices, topped with a few avocado slices and sprinkled with fresh ground pepper!! Yum!! Or try topping with raw vegan cherry or raspberry jam!!