I love LOVE bruschetta as a treat every now and again. I say treat because there is a fair amount of olive oil, although you can make it with less oil but I must admit I love it and find it hard to have the “less oil” version – but that’s just me 😉
Makes 12 slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in 1/8th (yes it takes about 5 minutes to cut, but it’s worth it!)
- 1/4 cup basil (or if you don’t have basil like me today, then cilantro is a great substitute)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 loaf french bread (you can use the remaining 1/2 loaf with the Plant-Based Chilli!)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (to brush on bread)
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and ensure oven rack is on the top shelf.
Add minced garlic, olive oil and vinegar to a bowl, mix well together and let marinade for minimum 10 minutes. While garlic mixture marinades, cut cherry tomatoes in 1/8th. Place cherry tomatoes in colander, rinse and drain seeds. Add tomatoes and cilantro to garlic mixture and stir well and continue to marinade.
Cut bread in 1/2 ” slices. Brush olive oil on one side of bread using pasty brush and place oil side down on baking sheet. Place in oven for 5-6 minutes until bread is golden brown.
Place bread on serving plate and top with tomato mixture. Serve right away (if permitted to sit too long the bread will become soggy).