Cashew Cranberry Chews… hit the spot every time! I often have an urge for something with a chewy texture and a little sweet during the day. With regular sweets, i.e. sweets made with flour, eggs, butter I feel too “heavy” and it just doesn’t agree with me. Not to mention the fact that I get a bit of the “addictive” nature when I eat anything with flour.
The great news? I have discovered that raw vegan “treats” fair well with my body PLUS I can pretty much pig out and still feel great with no major adverse effects as I get with wheat-based treats.
This recipe is my own creation. What I love best is the chewy texture. The recipe makes 50 squares!! Keeps well in the freezer for several weeks for a handy snack at any time of day.
Ingredients – Cashew Cranberry Chews
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- Note: it's always best to use raw nuts and seeds as much as possible, I also use organic most of the time
- 2 cups pitted dates (medjool are my favorite)
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Note: with any dried fruits try to get sulfite free, i.e. they will not have the original bright orange colour but will be a darker almost brown colour, I also use organic when possible
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp agave
- Add cashews & sunflower seeds to food processor and process until almost fine (I prefer a fine grind, but you can also make more chunky). Add dates, apricots and cranberries and process further (you may need to do in batches) until well mixed. You may need to adjust the quantity of dates/apricots depending on how fresh they are, I think I added a little extra today. Add vanilla and agave and process until nice and "gooey".
- Press into cookie sheet and put in freezer for an hour. Once they have hardened a little cut into squares and store in freezer. They can be stored in the fridge but they are more chewy if stored in the freezer. Enjoy!