Pizza dough is so easy to make. I love to make it myself – I love knowing exactly what ingredients are used and being able to control the quantities – especially the sugar, salt and oil!!
- 1 package active dry yeast (.25 g or about 1 tbsp)
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) – i.e. I use my kettle which has temperature setting – or use warm tap water, but not too hot or it will kill the yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon organic sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 cups organic flour (you may need less/more flour, depending on the humidity/weather and depending on whether you use whole wheat or regular flour)
- In a small bowl, add yeast and then add warm water. Let stand until creamy & frothy (indicates the yeast is active), about 10 minutes.
- Using S-blade, add 2 cups flour, sugar and salt. With Cuisinart running, add olive oil then add yeast/water mixture and pour slowly through top of Cuisinart. Mix until a ball is formed and starts to rotate in Cuisinart (you may need to add more flour and/or water as many factors will affect the consistency of the dough, i.e. type of flour, humidity, etc. – the dough should be barely sticky to touch) – continue to process for another 1/2-1 minute after ball is formed (i.e. the Cuisinart is kneading the dough for you). Place dough in lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with a dish towel and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough to “deflate”, turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Form dough into a round and/or roll out into a pizza crust shape.
- Place dough on lightly oiled pizza pan or cookie sheet. Add your toppings and bake for 20 minutes in pre-heated 400 degree C oven.
Visit my Pizza with Pizza Salad recipe for ideas on creating toppings for your pizza.